Inspiring Lifelong Runners
The Servus Calgary Marathon has a long history of supporting local schools and encouraging youth to get into running. We are excited to continue this tradition with a revamped youth program for the 60th Servus Calgary Marathon taking place on May 26, 2024.
New this year, we've introduced a reduced flat rate of $20 for all youth 18 years of age or younger (as of race day). Learn more here!
GETTING YOUTH ACTIVE
Over the years, we have seen a substantial decline in youth participating in running events. Our passion is to keep kids active and moving, which in turn can benefit both physical health and mental health. Our goal is to give all youth in Calgary the chance to be active, and we are pursuing this goal through three avenues:
Youth Team Challenge
Youth Community Events (COMING SOON!)
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE YOUTH TEAM CHALLENGE?
We have expanded our youth program to include not only schools, but also youth sports teams, youth volunteer groups and youth activity groups. Essentially any group of youth is welcome to create a Youth Challenge Team!
- Hockey Team? Yes!
- Girl Guides Unit? Yes!
- Church Youth Group? Yes!
- School? Yes!
- You name it!
The Youth Team Challenge is a great opportunity to bring your community together, fundraise for a charity that is meaningful to your group, work towards a goal together, and be eligible to win prizes!
How It Works
Designate a team captain from your school/team/organization. The team captain then registers your youth team using your team's name on the event registration website HERE. (*Please select the 'Youth Team Challenge' sub-event at the bottom of the list of events.)
When registering, the team captain will select your preferred fundraising organization to support from our list of official charities HERE. Let us know if your charity is not listed and we can reach out to get them registered as an official charity.
Once the team has been created, all participating youth team members (including team captain) must individually register for their distance and place themselves on the youth team during registration. Each team member can register for a different distance.
Start preparing for race day! Get your team together for some training runs/walks, reach out to your friends and family to help support the charity you selected, and get excited for race day!
Run (or walk) at your own pace on Sunday May 26, 2024 and celebrate your collective achievement!
It wouldn’t be a challenge without some healthy competition! Awards will be given to Youth Teams for:
- Top Fundraising
- Best Team Spirit
- Most Collective Distance
The Youth Team Experience is made even more purposeful because teams have the opportunity to support one of our official charities.
In its twelve year history, the Charity Challenge has helped raise more than $9.5 million in Calgary.
- Create your team as soon as possible — remember the team must be created BEFORE any participants register for their event.
- Anyone who is directly affiliated with the youth team can join the team when registering themselves on Race Roster. This includes: parents/guardians, coaches, friends, family, teachers, team leaders etc.
- Most 'Collective Distance' is defined as the total collective distance covered by your youth team participants on race day. For example, 5 people running the half marathon (5 x 21.1K) beats 10 people running the 5K (10 x 5km)
- All of the top teams will receive shout-outs in our newsletter and on Calgary Marathon’s social media.
- Each top team (Top Fundraising, Most Collective Distance, Best Spirit) will receive a catered lunch valued at $500.
- The Top Fundraising Award is based on funds collected up to May 23, 2024 at 2pm.
Take up the Challenge
Our Official Charities.
Explore our list of official charities below.