Give back to the community
We need YOU like never before! Volunteers are essential to the success of any large event and this September more than ever as we are hosting an adapted Calgary Marathon for the first time in 28 months. We are counting on our dedicated army of past volunteers, participants who are not signed up this fall as well as new volunteers and friends and family of registered participants to be a part of the safe return to racing. The smaller than usual field of 5000 runners and walkers are training for their first start line in many months and we are here to make that a safe and memorable community experience for all. Read on to understand how we are limiting contact and mitigating risks.
2021 Plans to Reduce Risk
- Most volunteer roles take place outside and will have limited close contact with others
- Limited the number of people on park to ensure there is space to social distance
- Following the provincial guidelines of the time
- Masks are recommended but not mandatory
- Eliminated touch points such as kids zone and massage as well as anything that encourages dwell time
- Reduced indoor areas
- Increased cleaning
- Self-serve refuelling stations
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteer training will be online in 2021
- Receive a black poly blend RUN THIS CITY t-shirt
- Be eligible for exclusive draw prizes
- A spectacular safe and outside experience that brings community together
- Volunteer food and refreshments are provided for your shift and training
- Experience the fun and excitement of a marathon without the training, sweat or anxiety
- Contribute to this Calgary tradition and help make finish line dreams come true at the 57th Scotiabank Calgary Marathon
There are a variety of positions available as well as group and individual volunteer opportunities.
Volunteering with the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon can be a great team-building exercise, a fun family bonding experience, a way to get credit for volunteer hours required for school and a new way to meet people.
Download this form and bring it with you for your direct lead to sign off on your hours.
For more information and to get involved email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee / Board Opportunities
The Calgary Marathon Society (CMS) is made up of staff and volunteer board and committee members.
The Calgary Marathon Volunteer Committee is made up of coordinators, area captains and technical specialists and is focused on operations and execution of Race Week.
All positions require some pre-planning, however it is varied and so is the level of commitment.
To apply to be on the committee:
Please email email@example.com with your C.V. (professional and running), some thoughts on why you would like to join the committee, what skills you bring and where you would like to contribute.
The Volunteer Board meets 10 times a year and is focused on governance, developing long term strategy and creating future vision of the organization. Sub-committees meet monthly, quarterly or as needed.
To apply to sit on the board of directors:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your C.V. (professional and running), some thoughts on why you would like to join The CMS and how you would strengthen the organization.
Groups and Team Volunteering
Groups and teams are eligible for an honourarium, the amount will not be confirmed until after the race weekend but is based on number of volunteers, hours and returning groups are given priority. There are a variety of positions available as well as group and individual volunteer opportunities. Volunteering with the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon can be a great team-building exercise, a fun family bonding experience, a way to get credit for volunteer hours required for school and a new way to meet people.
If you are interested in volunteering as a school, team or group please contact email@example.com to see if your group qualifies for an honourarium.